2 Flashlights

· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · | Intro to Fabrication

I started this project by digging through the “junk” bins in the shop.


Found so much good stuff!


IMG_2426


DESIGN 1:

I knew right away that I wanted to use the PVC pipes to build a light. In my mind’s eye it looked like a silly creature. I imagined it as a playful children’s lamp;


IMG_2427


I am not normally very good at the craft of building, so I tried to start this project with a deep breath and a bit of planning.


IMG_2430


I decided I was ready to get to work but felt a bit intimidated by the machinery.  I asked John to go over the equipment with me one more time.


IMG_2432

#blurry


IMG_2437


Success!! (eventually)


 

IMG_2440


I did make a few mistakes.


IMG_2443


I tried not to get frustrated but to keep moving slowly and try again.


IMG_2441


I designed/created my own battery container. It works pretty well. Yay for “junk”!


IMG_2446


I did not know how to solder. Thankfully Aaron took the time to teach me.


IMG_2449


IMG_2453


He also helped me understand how my switch should be wired.


IMG_2459


It’s working!


IMG_2461


Not the most beautiful craftsmanship but it’s cute. And more-or-less looks like what I had in mind.  Notes to self: In the future I would like to avoid working with hot glue. And I should learn how to properly use spray paint.


IMG_2464


hello!

IMG_2465


I wanted it to be able to stand and couldn’t find anything with weight to add to the base so I glued a little stand on it. It’s not so stable…


IMG_2467



DESIGN 2:

Not being totally satisfied with my craftsmanship on the first project I decided to tackle another design I had in mind. This one uses some of the free cardboard around the shop.


IMG_2469


Here are my materials and tools:


IMG_2474


Again, I am trying to move slow and be as precise as possible. This goes against every bit of my instinct. I’m feeling a bit manic. Wrapped up in my excitement about completing the object.  Still trying to breath.


IMG_2475


I am really starting to get familiar with the drill press in the shop.


IMG_2479


And finally making use of all the switches I impulsively bought at Tinkersphere.


IMG_2483


I’m reusing my ‘original’ battery chamber design. And practicing my newly claimed soldering skills.


IMG_2485


The final product looks quite clean. But, seriously, hot glue is not the best. I need to figure out a new relationship with adhesives.


IMG_2491


One Comment

Ben Light says:

November 9, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Nice work, I’m glad you tried two very different designs. I like that you had everything securely clamped down to the drill press when you used the hole saws. Hot glue sadly is sometimes a necessity, but I understand where you’re coming from.

Comments are closed.