Enclosures

· · · · · · · · · · · · | Intro to Fabrication

I started this project with a trip to the kmart down the street – as suggested.



IMG_2705

I was immediately impressed with possibilities and found myself wandering aisle after aisle continually discovering another potential enclosure.

There were lots of options:


IMG_2712


IMG_2713


IMG_2715


IMG_2717


IMG_2718


I ended up purchasing a soap container that I found in the travel section of the pharmacy. I wasn’t super impressed with the aesthetics but I liked the shape of it and the semi-transparency of the the white plastic.

IMG_2724


IMG_2725

I had a plan.


IMG_2726

I had materials.



IMG_2722


So I got started.


First I measured.



IMG_2727

Then I came up with a pattern for the laser cutter.



IMG_2728

I cut out two colors of (free) acrylic because I wanted to test two designs.



IMG_2729

I decided I liked the black acrylic and went ahead and got it wired up.  My design worked out well. Everything fit perfectly into place.



IMG_2733

To keep the plate at the right height I used hot glue to make a lip in the corners of my soap box. This also created a sticky surface which helps keep the plate semi-attached to the soap box.



IMG_2737

just for you Ben….



IMG_2744

Here she is all together. Much sleeker than I had originally imagined.


IMG_2740

She works!



IMG_2742

Enjoy the peaceful blue glow.


IMG_2743


No Comments

Leave a comment