Final Fabrication: ITP Print Lab Bookshelf

· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · | General / FUN · Intro to Fabrication

This project got started because a group of us decided to stock some books on the some how book-less ITP floor.  We formed a club and created what will eventually be the “ITP Print Lab”.


cool. great.


So I approach Rob Ryan to see about getting a shelf and was told I can be provided with material to build my own bookshelf.  Ok. I guess I can do this.


I was very nervous to start this project and it took me over a month to complete because I kept waiting for help. Eventually I just decided to dive in.


I measured the space which had been designated as the future location of the print lab and got started with some 3/4 inch plywood – which I cut into planks using the standing saw.


1 IMG_2928


I realized in hindsight that if I had used a jig during this process I would have had a much easier time compensating for the width of the blade. Lesson learned for next time.

I also used the metal cutting saw to cut 4 lengths of speed rail which would be used as the support for my shelving. (not shown)


I then measured and marked each board and cut holes for the speed rail to pass through, using the drill press.



2 IMG_2899


3 IMG_2901

This was a bit tedious but I eventually got the job done and was relieved to find that my holes lined up.


Here are all my prepped parts and pieces (including the flanges I intend to use to hold and position the shelves on the speed rail):



4 IMG_2863

Before fastening everything together I took minute to assemble the piece and make sure all the parts fit. I was relieved to find that they did.



5 IMG_2747


6 IMG_ 748


I had two types of screws and a variety of nuts and bolts. So I decided to adhere my flanges using screws for two of the boards and use the nuts, bolts, and washers for the baseboard.



4.5 IMG_2872

I got started with the screws and washers.


I marked the bottom of the top shelf using another board as a stencil and positioned my flanges.  I then went ahead and drove in my screws using a long drill bit; trying the come down from as straight above as possible.



7 IMG_2866


8 IMG_2868


The second board that I attached the flanges to – using screws – had the pre-drilled speed rail holes, so I decided to use a small piece of pipe the hold the flange in place as I worked.


9 IMG_2867


10 IMG_2870

Success.



10.5 IMG_2877

I got started on the baseboard.


I needed to drill holes through the boards, aligned with the holes in the flanges, so that I could eventually pass the bolt through them. I decided to use the flanges as stencils and marked the spots where the holes should be.



11 IMG_2878


12 IMG_2876

Because of the size and shape of the drill press I couldn’t use it to drill these holes so I had to use the electric hand drill. I stacked scrap wood both under neither the spot where I intended to drill and under the other side of the board (to keep it level). I used tape (not shown) to mark the drill bit so I knew the appropriate depth and didn’t accidentally ruin the floor. I tried to drill as straight down as I could.



13 IMG_2880


14 IMG_2884

I then got to work attaching the flanges with nuts and bolts.



15 IMG_2885


16 IMG_2886

The best way I could find to tighten the nuts was using a regular wrench and socket wrench in tandem with each other.



18 IMG_2891


19 IMG_2892


This worked well so I got started putting all the finished parts together.


21 IMG_2905

I used an allen wrench to tighten the flanges onto the speed rail that I ran through each board/shelf.



22 IMG_2908


23 IMG_2913

I was pleased to find that things came together quickly and all of my parts still lined up.



24.5 IMG_2916

Aaron helped me wedge(hammer) in the final board.



25 IMG_2921


25.5 IMG_2923

She looks pretty good! But still a bit rough around the edges.



26 IMG_2925

Renata helped me navigate the power sander which we used to clean up the edges of the shelving and free it of any splinters.



27 IMG_2934


27.6 IMG_2937

I also passed over the edges by hand to grab the smaller bits we missed with the power sander.



28 IMG_2941

I tried to clean up the inside of the wood too. I regretted not having done this before putting everything together. Another lesson learned.



29 IMG_2942

Just for fun I found a piece of scrap wood and decided to make a label for the finished bookshelf.



30 IMG_2944


31 IMG_2947


32 IMG_2948

Which I adhered using wood glue.



33 IMG_2970


34 IMG_2972

I have to be honest, I am pretty proud of this work. The feeling of accomplishment that I felt upon completing it gave me a new found confidence as a fabricator.


Look what time, patience and craft can produce:



35 IMG_2973


amazing.


One Comment

Ben Light says:

December 14, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Nice work! I agree, I would have sanded and probably added a finish to all of the wood before assembling. I would think about maybe adding an oil finish before you start stacking books on it.

Reply

Leave a comment