Thesis Research Plan
How can we use immersive media to augment our experience of – and communal narratives about – urban space?
I’ve thinking about how we form identity in today’s mediated world, how we find identity through our everyday interaction with media, community and place.
How do these interactions not only help us form an understand of self but reenforce our narratives of experience/self? How do they affect our creation of the story of ourself?
I’ve also been thinking a lot about the relationship of UX design to storytelling. In what ways is crafting a User Experience similar to guiding an individual through a narrative. We often hear the metaphor of interactivity as a conversation between man and machine. How is User Input an assertion of identity in that it is a story the user is sharing?
Additionally, what does a UX design of place look like? How can UI design for urban-centered immersive experiences be crafted to retell our stories of community, self and the other?
There are a lot of books I’d like to Read:
- Becoming human by design
- Extrastatecraft : the power of infrastructure space
- The interface effect
- Network culture politics for the information age
- Walkable city : how downtown can save America, one step at a time
- The death and life of great American cities
- The image of the city
- Thinking, Fast and Slow
- What We Made: Conversations on Art and Social Cooperation
- Tell Me a Story: Narrative and Intelligence
- Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide
- Spreadable Media: Creating Value and Meaning in a Networked Culture
Research on Storybuilding and UX for Immersive Media:
- The User Experience of Virtual Reality
- VR Interface Design Pre-Visualisation Methods on Vimeo
- You’re the center of the universe: A UX guide to designing virtual reality experiences
- The Language of VR – Medium
- Storyboarding in Virtual Reality
- How to Storyboard For Virtual Reality & 360° Video | Scott Ownbey | Pulse | LinkedIn
- AR Stories | Augmented Reality projects, articles & talks by Dr. Helen Papagiannis, Ph.D.
Articles of Interest:
- Design+Media Theory | Public Seminar
- Formulary for a New Urbanism (Ivan Chtcheglov)
- I am a camera: The mediated self: Communication Quarterly: Vol 34, No 2
- Theory of the Derive (Debord)
- Critique of Urban Geography (Debord)
- A Brief Guide to Embodied Cognition: Why You Are Not Your Brain – Scientific American Blog Network
- The Ultimate Display
- Google Design
- Introduction – Material design – Material design guidelines